|文章作者：未知 文章来源：高考英语网 点击数： 更新时间：2010-09-04||
Section B (10 marks)
Directions: Read the following passage, Answer the questions according to the information given in the passage.
On Christmas morning, Linda wakes up, and tries to imagine the wide-eyed surprise of children in another household as they unwrap the presents she carefully chose for them. Linda has never met the children, but that’s all part of the joy of giving as secret Santas, she says.
“It’s an amazing feeling to buy gifts on an anonymous (匿名的) basis,” says Linda.
“It brings a whole new meaning to the holidays.”
Linda and Tony are an American couple living in Toronto, Canada, and Linda did charitable work as a member of the American Women’s Club of Toronto. As the name suggests, members are U. S. citizens living in Toronto, who join together for fellowship and community service.
To find her “adopted” family, Linda goes to the local schools and requests a wish list for a family that’s struggling to survive. Last year she helped a single mother with three children. The mother works as a cleaning lady in a nursing home.
“The list is always heartbreaking. They have an opportunity to ask for anything and do just the opposite, asking for basic clothes or simple toys,” she says. “We always buy the kids a new winter coat, hats, and gloves.” She also buys gifts for the parents.
Last year Linda asked the mother for a second wish list—one that didn’t include the basics. “Every child should have a Christmas that sticks with them for a lifetime.” She purchased iPods for the two older children and a video game system for the youngest. “I have learned a very valuable lesson in all of this,” says Linda. “Pay attention to what’s going on in your own backyard—no matter where you live.”
The joy of giving as secret Santas is much sweeter when the gift is anonymous.
81. What reaction does Linda imagine the children will have? (No more than 5 words) (2 marks)
82. Why did Linda join the American Women’s Club of Toronto? (No more than 10 words) (2 marks)
83. Why did Linda ask for a second wish list? (No more than 15 words) (3 marks)
84. What kind of people does “secret Santas” in the passage refer to? (No more than 12 words) (3 marks)
81. They will feel greatly surprised.
82. She joined it for fellowship and community service
83. She wanted to give the children some other gifts rather than the basics
84. It refers to people who give away anonymous gifts on Christmas
|| 网站地图 | 关于我们 | 版权申明 | 设为首页 | 加入收藏 | 会员中心 | 取回密码 | 友情链接 | 用户留言 | 管理登录 ||