|文章作者：Hari 文章来源：高考英语网 点击数： 更新时间：2012-05-06||
I took home a briefcase full of troubles. As I sat down on that hot and damp ___1___, there seemed to be no ___2___ to the problems thrashing around in my brain. So I picked up a book, settled into a comfortable chair and ___3___ my own special therapy—___4___ reading.
I ___5___ three or four hours on two short chapters of Personal History by Vincent Sheean—tasting each paragraph, staying over a sentence, a phrase, or even a single heat-wave night. Enjoying every word, I ___6___ foreign correspondent Sheean on a mission to China and another to Russia. I ___7___ in the author’s world. And when finally I put it down, my mind was totally ___8___.
Next morning, four words from the book—“take the long ___9___” —were still in my mind. At my desk, I had a long-view look at my ___10___. Once more, super-slow reading had given me not only ___11___ but perspective, and helped me in my everyday affairs.
I discovered its ___12___ years ago. Previously, if I had been really interested in a book, I would ___13___ from page to page, ___14___ to know what came next. Now, I decided I had to become a miser with ___15___ and stretch every sentence like a poor man spending his last dollar.
I had started with the practical object of making my book last. But by the end of the second week I began to realize ___16___ I was getting from super-slow-reading itself. Sometimes just a particular phrase ___17___ my attention, sometimes a sentence. I would read it slowly, analyze(分析)it, read it again—perhaps changing down into an even ___18___ speed—and then sit for 20 minutes thinking about it before moving on. I was like a pianist ___19___ a piece of music, phrase by phrase, practicing it, trying to discover and ___20___ exactly what the composer was trying to convey.(www.yygrammar.com)
1. A. day B. morning C. afternoon D. evening
2. A. solutions B. doubt C. wonder D. courses
3. A. tried B. applied C. practiced D. managed
4. A. fast B. super-fast C. super-slow D. slow
5. A. spent B. wasted C. cost D. took
6. A. united B. attended C. attracted D. joined
7. A. found B. lost C. persuaded D. accepted
8. A. broken B. discouraged C. refreshed D. awaken
9. A. view B. care C. walk D. distance
10. A. therapy B. problems C. reading D. work
11. A. difficulty B. success C. achievement D. pleasure
12. A. use B. disadvantage C. worth D. importance
13. A. race B. read C. analyze D. digest
14. A. worried B. eager C. glad D. anxious
15. A. books B. troubles C. words D. music
16. A. how well B. how long C. how many D. how much
17. A. caught B. missed C. escaped D. paid
18. A. faster B. higher C. lower D. slower
19. A. playing B. studying C. writing D. singing
20. A. realize B. recognize C. repay D. recreate
|| 网站地图 | 关于我们 | 版权申明 | 设为首页 | 加入收藏 | 会员中心 | 取回密码 | 友情链接 | 用户留言 | 管理登录 ||