|文章作者：BSCLOSE 文章来源：高考英语网 点击数： 更新时间：2012-06-06||
I never knew how well mother could keep a trust until I was going through her things after she died. I ___1___ something I had long forgotten, something that happened to me as a(n) ___2___. One night, as I lay in bed ___3___ my sisters and I had said our prayers, I recalled the events of the day and how ___4___ I had behaved towards mother. “I must make things right before going to ___5___.” I thought.
Quietly I slipped out of bed and ___6___ pencil and paper from the dresser, then tiptoed into the hall. The light from the living room ___7___ dimly. I knew mother was downstairs mending socks.
I quickly wrote a note asking mother to ___8___ me for being so naughty. I didn’t want my brothers and sisters to know our business so I ___9___ a postscript: “Please don’t let anyone else see this.” Then I ___10___ moved into my parents’ bedroom and put the letter under mother’s pillow.
The next morning, when I ___11___ my bed after breakfast, I unexpectedly found a ___12___ note under my pillow. Mother wrote that she loved me and forgave me.
This became my way of ___13___ whenever I talked back or disobeyed. Mother always left a return note, ___14___ she never spoke about our under-the-pillow messages in front of the family. Even when we were grown, she never ___15___ them when we brothers and sisters recalled our childhood.
When mother died, I had to go through her ___16___ belongings. In her desk was a bundle of notes tied with a faded ribbon. On top was a message in her handwriting. It read, “In the event of my death, please ___17___ these.”
I turned over the packet and glanced at my handwriting on the bottom. To my ___18___ I recognized my childish writing, “P.S. Please don’t let anyone see this. Love, Edie.”
I gently placed the ___19___ bundle in the waste basket along with other things for the rubbish burner. “Lord,” I prayed, “make me ___20___ my mother!”
1. A. recognized B. discovered C. invented D. owned
2. A. teacher B. child C. father D. adult
3. A. before B. since C. after D. while
4. A. well B. strangely C. badly D. kindly
5. A. work B. school C. sleep D. bed
6. A. picked up B. turned up C. brought up D. carried up
7. A. lighted B. shone C. burned D. fired
8. A. take B. forgive C. want D. know
9. A. added B. put C. obeyed D. opened
10. A. hurriedly B. quietly C. fairly D. worriedly
11. A. left B. made C. found D. removed
12. A. return B. writing C. book D. asking
13. A. touching B. connecting C. apologizing D. contenting
14. A. so B. but C. yet D. and
15. A. asked B. explained C. mentioned D. informed
16. A. rich B. personal C. public D. lonely
17. A. destroy B. keep C. open D. report
18. A. pleasure B. surprise C. interest D. disappointment
19. A. unfolded B. untied C. unopened D. unwrapped
20. A. leave B. remember C. like D. hate
|| 网站地图 | 关于我们 | 版权申明 | 设为首页 | 加入收藏 | 会员中心 | 取回密码 | 友情链接 | 用户留言 | 管理登录 ||