|文章作者：HARRY 文章来源：高考英语网 点击数： 更新时间：2013-11-03||
Underground vegetable garden
People living more than three thousand meters above sea level find it difficult to raise vegetables all year long. People living in the highlands of
However, there is another way to grow vegetables throughout the year in cold areas. It is a method of gardening developed by a private agency called World Neighbors. The method uses “hot houses” built below ground. A hot house is a building covered with plastic or glass in which vegetables or flowers are grown. The traditional hot house is built above ground.
The air temperature is cold in the highlands of
Now, build a wall along the top edge of the hole. Make it about one-half meters tall. Earth bricks work fine. Build two shorter walls on the ends. These will be uneven; one side will be as high as the existing wall. The other side will be at ground level. Leave a small opening in each of these sloping walls. This prevents the hot house from becoming too hot. Now, make the roof. Build a wood frame. Cover it with clear plastic. Connect it to the brick walls.
The underground hot house we have described is large enough for two raised vegetable beds. Each is one meter wide and six meters long. Each is seeded and watered just as if it were in a garden above ground.
The dirt walls protect the growing plants from the cold. The clear plastic roof permits the sun’s heat to enter. At night, the roof should be covered with straw. This helps prevent cold air from entering. An under ground hot house this size will provide enough vegetables for one family. Groups needing more vegetables can make it bigger.
1. If you lived in
A. should raise the special kinds of vegetables that can endure cold
B. could not plant at all
C. had to work out some new unusual plans
D. would not have many vegetables to eat
2. To our surprise, the “hot houses” invented by World Neighbors are _______.
A. covered with a transparent plastic ceiling B. built under ground
C. quite small D. hotter than traditional ones
3. The hot house can be kept warm by using _______.
A. a big oven B. an electricity heater
C. the heat of the earth’s interior D. the sun shine
4. The measure to prevent the hot house from becoming too hot is to _______.
A. make the roof sloped (www.yygrammar.com)
B. dig holes on the walls (www.nmet168.com)
C. make the wall not vertical (zk.nmet168.com)
D. make the walls shorter than the ground level
5. according to the passage, the method suggested by World Neighbors is _______.
A. new and difficult B. uneasy to explain
C. at trial step D. simple and practical
1. C。细节题。从there is another way to grow vegetables throughout the year in cold areas. It is a method of gardening…可知答案选C。
2. B。细节题。从 World Neighbors advises farmers there to build hot houses below ground 可知答案选B。
3. D。细节题。由原文The clear plastic roof permits the sun’s heat to enter可知答案为D(the sun’s heat=the sun shine)。
4. B。细节题。从 Leave a small opening in each of these sloping walls. This prevents the hot house from becoming too hot可知答案为B。
|| 网站地图 | 关于我们 | 版权申明 | 设为首页 | 加入收藏 | 会员中心 | 取回密码 | 友情链接 | 用户留言 | 管理登录 ||