|文章作者：admin 文章来源：高考英语网 点击数： 更新时间：2014-01-06||
In 1605 some Englishmen planned to kill their king, James I, because they thought he was a bad man. They knew that on November 5th the King would go to the House of Lords(上议院) to talk with his nobles.
The men rented a building next to the House of Lords. They dug through a wall and put many barrels of gunpowder in a cellar of the House of Lords. They chose a man called Guy Fawkes to set fire to the gunpowder but something went wrong with their plan. One of the men had a relative who was coming to the House of Lords to meet the King. He warned his relative to stay at home. The relative spoke to other nobles and soon the King heard about the danger. Soldiers searched the cellars and found the gunpowder on November 4th, Guy Fawkes was caught and killed.
Every year, on November 5th, English children remember Guy Fawkes. They collect old boxes, newspapers and rubbish so that they can make a big fire, which they call a bonfire. They put a pole in the middle of the fire and tie a “guy” to it. “The guy” is the figure of Guy Fawkes and is made of old clothes and paper. Sometimes they push their “guy” round the streets in a cart and ask for money so that they can buy fireworks.
In the evening they light the bonfire and let off many fireworks: crackers, rockets, bangers and many other kinds. November 5th is an exciting day for children in
1. Some Englishmen planned to kill their king because ________.
A. they thought highly of him
B. they thought poorly of him
C. they thought nothing of him
D. they thought well of him
2. Something went wrong with their plan because one of the men_________.
A. told the King about it B. told other nobles about it
C. told his relative about it D. Guy Fawkes was killed
3. How do English children remember Guy Fawkes every year?
A. They make a bonfire. B. They make the figure of Guy.
C. They let off fireworks. D. All above.
4. The phrase “let off many fireworks” in the passage means ________.
A. allow the fireworks to leave
B. cause the fireworks to explode
C. keep the fireworks off the bonfire
D. put the fireworks into the bonfire
5. November 5th is a busy day for firemen because _________.
A. fireworks are in great need (www.nmet168.com)
B. quite a few houses catch fire when fireworks explode
C. many children are injured by the unexpected explosion of rireworks
D. both B and C
1. B。事实细节题。从because they thought he was a bad man可知答案B正确(think poorly of somebody意为“认为某人不好”)。
2. C。事实细节题。从He warned his relative to stay at home可知答案选C。
4. B。词汇猜测题。从let off的并列词light(燃放、点燃)和最后一句Every year children are injured when fireworks exploded unexpectedly 可知let off many fireworks意思为“放鞭炮”，故答案为B。
5. B。事实细节题。从Sparks from the bonfires sometimes set fire to fences, trees or houses(篝火的火花可能会引起房子起火)可知消防人员会很忙，故答案B正确。
|| 网站地图 | 关于我们 | 版权申明 | 设为首页 | 加入收藏 | 会员中心 | 取回密码 | 友情链接 | 用户留言 | 管理登录 ||