|作者：admin 文章来源：本站原创 点击数 更新时间：2014-01-06 文章录入：admin 责任编辑：admin|
On May 29, 1973, Thomas Bradley, a black man, was selected mayor of the
News of this election appeared on the front pages of newspapers everywhere in the
LOS ANGELES ELECTES BRADLEY MAYOR UNSEATING YORTY
BLACKS WINS% OF VOTES
Bradley called this victory over Yorty “the fulfillment(实现) of a dream”. During his childhood and youth, people had kept telling him, “You can’t do this, you can’t go there, because you are a Negro.” Nevertheless he had won a decisive victory over a man who had been the city’s mayor for three terms. Bradley had won 43. 7 percent.
At the time of the
1. In the author’s opinion, it was surprising that _______.
A. the whites would vote for a black mayor
B. a black mayor would be elected in such a large city
C. a black from a poor farmer’s family could be elected mayor of
D. there would be so many black mayors
2. From the passage we can infer that people _______.
A. voted for Bradley because his black color
B. didn’t care much about his color when they voted
C. voted for him to give him a chance to fulfill his dream
D. voted for Bradley because they trust him
3. Bradley hit the front page headline for _______.
A. he was the first black mayor in history
B. he was the first black mayor in the south of
C. he was the first black mayor of one of the largest cities in
D. a poor farmer’s son could also win an important election
4. From Bradley’s victory in the election we can see that _______.
A. blacks had equal rights as whites in the
B. black people’s situation began to be improving much more than before
C. one can be successful through hard work in US no matter what color you are
D. it is sure that someday US will have a black president (www.nmet168.com)
1. A。推断题。根据第1段Los Angeles…with a population of three million. About sixteen percent of the city’s population are black 和倒数第2段Besides, the percentage of blacks in those other cities was much larger 及Thus election of a black mayor in those cities was not surprising可以推断出令人惊讶的是白人会选一个黑人当市长。故答案选A。
2. D。推断题。根据文章最后一段In Los Angeles thousands of white citizens voted for Thomas Bradley because they believed he would be a better mayor than the white candidates可知答案为D。
3. C。推断题。根据第1段Los Angeles is the third largest city in the United States和At the time of the Los Angeles election, three other American cities already had black mayors, but none of those cities had as large a population as Los Angeles可推出答案为C。