|作者：admin 文章来源：本站原创 点击数 更新时间：2014-01-06 文章录入：admin 责任编辑：admin|
A higher reading rate, with no loss of comprehension, will help you in other subjects as well as in English, and the general principles apply to any language. Naturally, you will not read every book at the same speed. You would expect to read a newspaper, for example, much more rapidly than a physics of economics textbook—but you can raise your average reading speed over the whole range of materials you wish to cover so that the percentage gained will be the same whatever kind of reading you are concerned with.
The reading passages which follow are all of an average level of difficulty for your stage of instruction. They are all about five hundred words long. They are about topics of general interest which do not require a great deal of specialized knowledge. Thus they fall between the kind of reading you might find in your textbooks and the much less demanding kind you will find in a newspaper or light novel. If you read this kind of English, with understanding at four hundred words per minute you might skim through a newspaper at perhaps 650—700, while with a difficult textbook you might drop to two hundred or two hundred and fifty.
Perhaps you would like to know what reading speeds are common among native English speaking university students and how those speeds can be improved. Tests in
1. according to the passage, the purpose of effective reading with a higher speed is most likely to help you _______.
A. only in your reading of a physics textbook.
B. improve your understanding of an economics textbook
C. not only in your language study but also in other subjects
D. choose the suitable materials to read
2. Which of the following does not describe the types of reading materials mentioned in the second paragraph?
A. Those beyond one’s reading comprehension.
B. Those concerned with common knowledge.
C. About sixty words per minute.
D. About five hundred words per minute.
3. according to the passage, how fast can you expect to read after you have attended twelve half-hour lessons in the
A. You can increase your reading speed by three times
B. No real increase in reading speed can be achieved.
C. You can increase your reading speed by four times.
D. You can double your reading speed.
4. Where do you think the passage is taken from?
A. The introduction to a book in fast reading.
B. A local newspaper for young people.
C. A school newspaper run by students.
D. The introduction to an English textbook.
1. C。事实细节题。根据A higher reading rate, with no loss of comprehension, will help you in other subjects as well as in English 可知答案为C。
3. D。推理判断题。根据…at speeds of between 240 and 250 words per minute with about seventy percent comprehension. …once a week, the reading speed can be increased, with no loss of comprehension, to about five hundred words per minute(没有经过特别训练速度每分钟是240到250，经过特别训练一个星期后速度将达到400到500)可知答案为 D。