|文章作者：admin 文章来源：高考英语网 点击数： 更新时间：2014-01-06||
Education is not an end, but a means to an end. In other words, we do not educate children only for the purpose of educating them. Our purpose is to fit them for life.
In some modern countries it has for some time been fashionable(时兴的) to think that by free education for all—whether rich or poor, clever or stupid—one can solve all the problems of society and build a perfect nation. But we can already see that free education for all is not enough; we find in such countries a far larger number of people with university degrees, they refused to do what they think “low” work, and, in fact, work with hands is thought to be dirty and shameful in such countries. But we have only to think a moment to understand that the work of a completely uneducated farmer is far more important than that of a professor, we can live without education, but we die if we have no food. If no one cleaned our streets and took the rubbish away from our houses, we should get terrible diseases in our towns…
In fact, when we say that all of us must be educated to fit us for life, it means that we must be educated in such a way that, firstly, each of us can do whatever work suited to his brains and ability and, secondly, that we can realize that all jobs are necessary to society, and that it is very bad to be ashamed of one’s work. Only such a type of education can be considered valuable to society.
1. The writer of this passage thinks that ________.
A. education can settle all of the world’s problems
B. free education for all probably leads to a perfect world
C. free education won’t help to solve social problems
D. all the social problems can’t be solved by education
2. The writer wants to prove that ________.
A. our society needs all kinds of jobs
B. our society needs free education for all
C. a farmer is more important than a professor
D. people with university degrees refuse to do what they think “low” work
3. according to the passage, _______.
A. work with hands is dirty and shameful
B. work with hands is low work
C. work with hands is the most important
D. we can’t regard work with hands as low work
4. The purpose of education is ________.
A. to choose a system of education
B. to prepare children mainly for their future work
C. to let everyone receive education fit for him
D. to build a perfect world (www.nmet168.com)
5. The passage tells us about _______ of education.
A. the means B. the system
C. the value D. the type
1. D。概括题。通过阅读全文可知教育并不能解决所有的问题，故答案为 D。
2. A。推理判断题。由that we can realize that all jobs are necessary to society, and that it is very bad to be ashamed of one’s work(所有的职业都是社会所必须的，而不应该歧视任何一个人的工作)，故可推出此题答案为A。
3. D。推理判断题。从 we can live without education, but we die if we have no food(没有受教育，我们还有生命，但若没有食物，我们就不可能生活)，意指我们不应该歧视那些体力活，故答案选D。
4. B。事实细节题。文中第1段最后一句Our purpose is to fit them for life(教育的目的是为了使他们适应以后的生活和工作)可知答案为B。
5. C。主旨大意题。本文主要讲教育的目的是为了使人更好的适应生活，即指教育对社会的价值问题，从 Only such a type of education can be considered valuable to society 可推知答案选C。
|| 网站地图 | 关于我们 | 版权申明 | 设为首页 | 加入收藏 | 会员中心 | 取回密码 | 友情链接 | 用户留言 | 管理登录 ||